Friday December 30, 2005
Estimating Burn area
There are 3 ways to estimate %TBSA burn (% Total Body Surface Area Burn).
1. "rule of nine" remains universally accepted tool to calculate %TBSA burn. Click here to see the diagram.1
2. Lund-Browder chart is more accurate method of calculating %TBSA Burn. Click here to see the chart 2
3. Recently computer based softwares have been introduced with color coded calculation and instant resuscitation guide. See sample Surface Area Graphic Evaluation software method here. 3
See most comprehensive Burn management guide at
" www.burnsurgery.org "
References: Click to get abstract or article
1. Initial management of a major burn: II—assessment and resuscitation - BMJ 2004 ; 329:101-103
2. Total Burn Care - totalburncare.com
3. Surface Area Graphic Evaluation