Thursday October 6, 2005
Experts have included many maneuvers to decrease Vantilator-associated pneumonia including continuous subglottic secretion removal, OG tubes instead of NG tubes, use of oral hygiene with chlorhexidine gluconate and selective digestive tract decontamination but IHI recommends atleast following 4 key components in daily goal checklist.
1. Elevation of the Head of the Bed
2. Daily "Sedation Vacations"
3. Peptic Ulcer Disease Prophylaxis
4. Deep Venous Thrombosis Prophylaxis
Recommended Readings: Click on links to go to reference
1. VAP bundle - IHI
2. Seven strategies to prevent VAP - Hospitalist Today 05/2005