Friday October 7, 2005
7 pearls on Fever and drawing blood cultures
1. Ideally all ICUs should have "Fever Protocol".
2. All fevers don't require treatment in ICUs as there are atleast 25 non-infectious reasons of fever in ICUs.
3. Generally, experts agree on non-axillary 101 F (38.3 C) level as defining point of Fever.
4. Atleast 2 blood cultures (preferably 10 minutes apart) from different peripheral venipunture sites are required.
5. Atleast 10 (preferably 20) ml of blood should be collected per bottle as sensitivity is highly related to blood volume.
6. Central catheters to collect culture should be use only if venipuntures are difficult and if use, most recently placed catheter should be utilize.
7. Use of hypothermia blankets should be discouraged and in fact even antipyretics should not be use routinely for symptomatic treatment.
Recommended reading: Click on link to go to reference.
1. Fever in ICU - Chest 2000 2.
PRACTICE PARAMETERS FOR NEW FEVER - SCCM / IDSA 1998