Thursday January 19, 2006
Angel dust !!
Phencycladine is probably one of the most dangerous available street drug and as with widest variety of symptoms. 7 Pearls regarding Phencyclidine (PCP) toxicity.
1. PCP can also get absorb percutaneously.
2. Patient may exhibit waxing and waning symptoms of PCP due to its reabsorbtion in duodenum.
3. It has 5 properties of sympathomimetic, serotoninergic, cholinergic, anticholinergic, and narcotic effects and so can present with wide variety of symptoms including hypersalivation and bronchorrhea.
4. Nystagmus is a common presentation but hyperthermia or status epilepticus may be a presenting symptom.
5. Muscle rigidity can present as dystonia, opisthotonos or torticollis, and may cause life-threatening rhabdomyalysis.
6. Postive urine screen is usually diagnostic.
7. Dialysis does not help and treatment is supportive.
References: click to get abstrat/article
1. PCP - streetdrugs.org
2. PCP (Phencyclidine) - The National Institute on Drug Abuse (NIDA)
3. Toxicity, Phencyclidine - emedicine.com