Monday October 31, 2005
IHI's 5 essentials to prevent central line infections
Who will disagree with following 5 essentials to prevent central line infections from IHI (Institute for Healthcare Improvement).
1. Washing Hands: Before and after palpating the insertion site. (Good to avoid palpation once field is ready).
2. Maximal barrier precautions: yes !! - complete application of sterile drape from head to toe and those “four magic words” - cap, mask, gown and gloves.
3. Use of Chlohexidine as an anti-septic: Proven to be superior than Povidone-iodine(Betadine).
4. Sub-clavian as prefferd site: (may be controversial if operator is not experienced).
5. Daily evaluation of necessity of line: So true !
See IHI’s Central line complete guide .
Please register free at ihi.org for immense other resources.